The world as we know it is changing, and whilst it has been doing so for centuries, it seems to be moving much faster. Countries vying for supremacy over each other and the environment, and we don’t know about you, but it’s feeling more important than ever to be prepared for any eventuality.
We’re all busy stocking the larder, getting our shelters, cabins or whatever ready, making sure we’ve thought of everything, fine tuning and shoring up, ready for when, rather than if, the SHTF. But in the event of an emergency, there are certain things that you should keep close at hand. Your BOB should be packed and ready to run.
What the best prepared BOBs contain:
It’s best to aim for 3 days worth of emergency supplies, as that gives you a chance to get to your BOL, or find safe shelter.
- Water – at least 3 liters, and a method of filtration/purification
- Food – including protein bars, and dehydrated meals
- Metal cup – for drinking and prepping meals in
- Can opener
- Portable method of cooking
- Waterproof/thermal clothes/gloves/walking socks
- Sleeping bag
- A means to create heat – including an ignition source, and dry tinder
- First aid kit – including insect repellent, ‘space’ blanket and any prescription drugs
- Hand sanitizer
- Personal hygiene items
- A selection of knives – including a multitool, and hunting knife
- Machete or axe
- A variety of light sources – including an LED headlight, torches, candles and batteries
- A means of communication – remembering that if there’s a major infrastructure outage, cell phones are next to useless. Emergency radios are the best option, with a signal mirror as a back up.
- Navigation tools – including a compass, maps and binoculars
It also helps to have:
- Duct tape
- Fishing kit
- N95 Face mask
- Sewing kit
- Pepper spray
Keep copies of important documents close by:
- Emergency cash
- Your emergency plan – everyone in your group should have a copy
- Important numbers and addresses
In any survival situation, what is contained in your BOB could save your life, and at the very least, make your survival a bit more comfortable. It goes without saying that every member of your group should have a well stocked BOB, in case of separation, and for the same reason, too, items shouldn’t be shared out between BOBs.